Saturday, January 8, 2011

PCOS

As I mentioned in my other blog I would talk about my health issues. Well here it is. I have PCOS which is the abbreviation for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I will give you the textbook definition on it and additional information in a little while. In summary I have a bunch of small cysts that are within my ovaries. That appearance are often times referred to as a string of pearls. Some of the symptoms that a woman would face because of this is missed periods, abdominal pain and hair growth in places that are not usual for most woman i.e. chin, lip face. The presence of the cysts are one of the causes of my missed periods. One of the reasons that I want to change my lifestyle right now is because I feel as if the symptoms that I am facing because of this are increasing as I get older. When I turned 31 I began having an increasing amount of additional problems. Oftentimes I feel as if I am having my own personal summer (as if my body is in early stages of menopause) I become really hot internally. This happens often no matter if it is a hot day or a cold day. I sweat a lot despite the fact of wearing cotton clothes. I can take a shower and begin sweating shortly after. A symptom that I am facing right now that I am sure it is tied to this is hyperpigmentation on my lip. I have a scar above me lip that could easily be passed as a mustache unless you look closely then it looks like a bruise of some sort. For me the bruise of my lip is the straw that broke the camels back because I do not want to walk around with some sort of mark on my face that can potentially be fixed. I have an appointment with the doctor in an effort to find some possible solution to rid myself of it. I am hoping that changing my eating habits and exercising will help so that hopefully my internal situation will improve. From what I was told PCOS is something that just has to be managed and it is possible that the symptoms can decrease or go away.

As I previously mentioned in my other post that I am not one of those type of woman that is obsessed with my weight. Well to a certain degree maybe I should be. And I feel that I have build a defense mechanism in an effort to feel ok. One thing is for certain is that I refuse to be a victim of PCOS because there will always be someone out there who is in a worst situation. But I will not feel sorry for myself. So my defense mechanism is to say that no matter what I will be okay.

Now I know that there are some ladies that cannot relate to this matter and that is fine. Because I feel that within every story there is some type of commonality. So perhaps this is not your problem but you have another situation that you are going through. That alone links you to someone because there will always be someone out there that has a problem also.

One of the ways I am counter acting this is through reading a lot about it. Ladies if the symptoms sounds like something that you might think that you have, even if it doesn't sound like something that you think you have perhaps you have something else or it has been a little while since you went of the check up at the GYN please, please, please set up that appointment and go. Your health is important and putting of that appointment is very dangerous. It should take no longer then one day out of your busy schedule to go to the doctor. Your worth it! That one visit to the doctor could potentially save your life or prevent any problems that you are having.

Over the years I have found informative information about PCOS. Please feel free to check out the links below to the information that I have found. If you have some information you would like to share regarding PCOS please feel free to post on this blog.


Informative information:

PCOS defined (definition from WEBmd)Polycystic ovary syndrome (say "pah-lee-SIS-tik OH-vuh-ree SIN-drohm") is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS may also cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it is not treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease.

For more info from web MD go to the following link: http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview


Helpful websites:

0 comments:

Post a Comment